During its March 27 meeting, the City Council unanimously approved (with two absent) three different plans that sets the course for the city’s expansion in the undeveloped areas of our community. First, the comprehensive plan was amended to allow for industrial and business development in the immediate area of the proposed I-90/ STH 23 interchange. Originally, the plan identified a great deal of this area as suitable for commercial development. After having had discussions with some of the effected property owners, it was recognized that the opportunity to develop these areas should also include industrial/ business uses.

The other two plans locate the “backbones” for the development of water service and sanitary sewer service. When developers come with proposals to build, they will now know the requirements and locations necessary to develop these utilities. It is also necessary to have these plans in place so that the city can pursue state and federal grants to fund the construction of these systems. I can’t stress this enough, the cost of this type of utility development cannot and will not be borne by our existing rate payers. It will have to come from grants and the builders themselves.

The water plan identifies the location of a well and a water tower in and area between Harmony and Anthony roads, east of Route 23. Hydrogeological mapping shows an abundance of shallow subsurface water at this location. The overall idea of the water system development is to “grow the pipes” together and join the developed portion of our community together with this new tollway area of water system.

The philosophy of sanitary sewage main growth is similar; join, through growth, the pipes from the tollway area to the existing system to the north. The difference being is that we can’t develop two separate systems; the cost and IEPA permitting requirements won’t allow it. Rather, the new system near the tollway will be developed in a way that could include IEPA approved interim steps of sewage treatment that would be localized to the development. The type of interim system( s) that could be allowed, will depend upon the intensity of the development. Ultimately, these systems would be retroactively hooked-up to the sewage treatment plant located at the north end of our city. The wastewater system plan shows the course of the sewer system mains, location of force mains and three lift stations that would ultimately covey sewage from the tollway area north to the treatment plant on the city’s north side.

City Manager Gary Boden presents Marengo Lakes LLC annexation

Marengo Lakes LLC Completes Annexation Into Municipal Boundaries

The Marengo City Council approved an annexation agreement and zoning reclassification for the Marengo Lakes LLC, bringing a combined 510-acre quarry as a new entity into the municipal boundaries, during its Feb. 27 meeting. The council’s vote was preceded by a public hearing to address public concerns over the endeavor.

The McHenry-based firm of Super Aggregates, owned by Jack Pease, is making arrangements to combine a 256-acre parcel, which was approved for annexation and permit changes in Feb. 2016, with a parcel that abuts the property to form the larger limited liability corporation. The sand and mining operation, along Pleasant Grove Road, will now have access points on Route 23.

“Two council members were absent from the meeting, although all of the pertinent rezoning was approved, along with the annexation,” said City Manager Gary Boden. “Effectively, it merged the properties last year, with 80- and 175- acre parcels, approved by Mc Henry County, and now it’s in the city. The points of ingress and egress are now on Route 23, with the addition, instead of Pleasant Grove Road.”

Dear Residents:

The Board of Commissioners of the Marengo Park District is aware of the recent media coverage concerning Joe Vallez, Manager of Park Operations. As a governing body committed to providing outstanding services to our community, the Marengo Park District and Joe Vallez both have been equally transparent in all discussions about the professional relationships he has with other park districts.

MOREHere at the M.O.R.E. Center, we have an award that we give to individuals, groups and businesses called “Friend of MORE.” It’s a certificate indicating our appreciation for outstanding service to us and, over the years, we have given out over 50 of these. It would be nice for everyone to get one of these, but that isn’t practical. So, we look for those who shine a little brighter.

Mcgills changesResidents of Marengo may have noticed that there is now an empty lot where the one story portion of the McGills factory used to be.

“The one story section was razed,” says Pastor Doc of the Marengo United Methodist Church which owns the property. “We plan to install a parking lot. We are unsure when yet because we are still raising the funds. The goal is to put a parking lot there that the city can use as well as the parishioners.”

Boys BowlingThe Marengo boys basketball team (16-5 Overall, 4-1 Kishwaukee River Conference) showered the Harvard Hornets with a dozen three-pointers at home, en route to a 65-40 win. The Jan. 28 tilt had the three-point basket parade led by Michael Volkening (23 points) collecting four, Connor Wascher (10) picking up two, and Blaine Borhart (11) with three.

BumblebeeOver 75% of our crops and flowering plants must be pollinated. Yet, there is clear evidence that pollinators are in perilous decline. Among pollinators are hummingbirds, flies, bats, butterflies, beetles, bats, moths and bees. They all play an important role in flowering plant reproduction and production of most vegetables and fruits.

Boy collects coatsWhen 5-year-old Brayden Jenkins feels cold sitting in a car, he thinks about homeless people who have no car or home to sit in. Brayden worries people without coats will get sick. That’s why he started a coat drive in December. He partnered with Roc’s Barber Shop in DeKalb. Although Brayden lives in Marengo, he frequents Roc’s regularly.

City Hall 1Marengo’s first city hall was a very unassuming building located in the northwest portion of today’s Municipal Lot. In the history column Ruminations by Rudy, which appeared in the August 3, 1978, edition of the Marengo Beacon News, Rudy Husfeldt described this ancient center of Marengo’s seat of government as an “18 x 20 ft., two room, clapboard, unpainted, tinroofed structure sporting two small windows.” The location wasn’t that great either. Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps for the years 1885, 1893, and 1905 place the building immediately adjacent to a railroad track siding and just west of the alley that runs along the west side of the Marengo Fire Protection District Station. This building was constructed sometime after 1859 when Marengo was first incorporated as a town.

News

Pondering the Past, Tales Lost in Time: Death of a Civil War Soldier

Pondering the Past, Tales Lost in Time: Death of a…

After the U.S Army garrison at Ft. Sumter surrendered to Confederate attackers on April 13, 1861, a wave of patriotic fervor swept...

Read more
A Gardening Experience in Panama

A Gardening Experience in Panama

During a recent trip to Panama we visited Boquete, a major agricultural region of the country. Most of Panama’s vegetables and all...

Read more

Marengo teen receives a new heart

For sixteen years, Logan Vallee waited for a heart transplant. Born with what is often referred to as half a heart, Vallee...

Read more